Sunday, October 14, 2012

Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial

I was not yet born when WWII was fought. Sure I have seen movies and read stories about the war and the D-Day invasion. None of it really hit home until Thur Oct 11 when I visited the site named in the title.
One of 14 permanent WWII American military cemeteries on foreign soil, this land was provided by France for use in perpetuity as a permanent burial ground without charge or taxation.
This site overlooks Omaha Beach, one of 5 invasion points and by far the most costly in American lives that day June 6, 1944. Until I came and visited I never fully understood the enormity or scope of this invasion.
This memorial site covers 172.5 acres and holds more than 9000 departed souls, 3 of which were Medal of Honor recipients.
The weather was grey and overcast as we approached the visitors center. While free of charge to enter, we had to go through a screening process similar to going through an airport. Once inside I was struck by the reverence of the France staff. When we finally exited the visitor center and started to stroll the grounds we were met with a rainbow falling into the channel as the waves gently rolled up on the beach.



 I have heard some negative things about how the French perceive Americans but I can tell you that the French in this area show more appreciation of Americans than our current crop of politicians. I saw several French homes flying American flags. The monuments and Chapel at the Cemetery were meticulously maintained.






1 comment: